This is an silent war we are all a part of, with quiet weapons being used in stealth ways. These signals affect us in ways that are really horrific.
A competitive technology to backscatter X-rays is millimeter-wave radio-frequency (RF) scanning. RF scanners based on this technology either actively or passively scan the body for hidden weapons and explosives. Canadian airports employ these devices to screen passengers. To my view, the adoption of this newer, supposedly safer technology is still a death-march for the unborn, and even the young, which can initiate tumors and infertility.
"Don't let your child go through that thing!" my raised voice surprised even me. I had been waiting at least fifteen minutes for the pat-down on my recent, return flight home. This seems to be the "reward" for standing up for oneself against Homeland Security. My unexpected outburst drew the supervisor and a policeman this time. A small Asian girl was being steered through the new RF airport scanner, her father behind guiding her. Both stopped in their tracks.
The "asleep at the wheel" TSA agent assured them that the new Radio Frequency scanners are "completely safe." Yet, she was still opening the bypass, motioning them away from the infertility-inducing scanner into the safer zone, and shooting me a hateful glance. Countering her lie, "Have you seen the PubMed article on RF and airport scanners? It reports infertility. Do your homework; it's not safe." The policeman was now right by my side.
How many children have passed through so-called "safe" replacement RF scanners? Studies have shown that children's brains receive higher exposure of RF than adults, particularly in cell phone use. Cumulative exposure is of concern. Of particular concern are TSA staff in the vicinity of scanners who are receiving a marked, cumulative exposure effect. Pilots, flight attendants, frequent fliers, pregnant women, and those who have not yet confirmed a pregnancy are all at high risk.
A 1995 study in the May/June issue of Microwave News reports RF/MW-exposed soldiers have more leukemia and lymphoma. "Polish military personnel exposed to radiofrequency and microwave (RF/MW) radiation had significantly higher rates of leukemia and lymphoma than those who were not exposed, according to a new study by Dr. Stanislaw Szmigielski of the Center for Radiobiology and Radiation Safety and the Military Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology, both in Warsaw. The risk of developing these cancers was more than eight times the expected rate for younger soldiers. 'These new results support our previous findings of a cancer link,' Szmigielski told Microwave News."
The study was the most detailed ever of an RF/MW-exposed population, covered fifteen years, and surveyed over a 100,000 soldiers a year. As Microwave News reported, "[t]he exposed personnel's overall risk of all types of cancer was about double that of the controls. For leukemia and lymphoma, the risk rose to more than six times the expected rate for all age groups and to over eight times for those servicemen between the ages of 20 and 49. All of these risks are statistically significant."
"Statistically significant" here translates into "bad news for TSA," and for millions upon millions of passengers, as the government merely trades one brand of "death-march" for another and risks creating RF-induced infertility in many passengers. Remember, as further reported, "[n]o large-scale epidemiological cancer study of RF/MW exposed workers has ever been done in the United States. A 1992 investigation of U.S. Army artillery crews did find impaired reproductive function, but no attempt has been made to investigate this finding." This is bad news for everyone.
The Worst is Yet To ComeThere is even more cause for alarm for what is soon to come. Laser-Based Molecular Scanners – using terahertz (THz) radiation (i.e., near the microwave range) – are scheduled to be deployed at airports within two years. As one publication so aptly put it, "[w]ithin the next year or two, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will instantly know everything about your body, clothes, and luggage with a new laser-based molecular scanner fired from 164 feet (50 meters) away. From traces of drugs or gun powder on your clothes to what you had for breakfast to the adrenaline level in your body—agents will be able to get any information they want without even touching you. And without you knowing it."
This is a cause that everyone can involve themselves in. Purportedly, THz radiation poses no health risk when it scans people. But they said exactly the same thing about back-scatter x-ray scanners too. And, since when have we started believing what the government tells us?
A 2008 study investigated this type of radiation and concluded that it causes genomic instability, which could lead to cancer. As the study stated, "[o]ur results demonstrate that exposure of lymphocytes in vitro to a low power density of 0.1 THz radiation induces genomic instability. These findings, if verified, may suggest that such exposure may result in an increased risk of cancer."
The scariest part of this study is that this terahertz radiation "is able to excite low-frequency collective vibrational modes of biomolecules." In other words, the very fabric of our DNA is affected by this radiation and, with it, our ability to replicate our own DNA. We may walk away from the scanners feeling fine, but our DNA sure doesn't. Do that enough times and we may irreparably scramble our own genetic code.
While schools in Europe are returning to hardwired internet systems and prohibiting cell phones in schools so as to reduce electro-smog and unhealthy EMF exposure, the American government is ramping up its efforts to bombard us against our will with more harmful radiation that assaults not only our bodies but our privacy. This must stop, and sanity and common-sense must return to travel.
Now is the time to take a proactive stance before the next onslaught of radiation against our society is set to be unleashed by 2014. Not flying – as Jesse Ventura has chosen to do – is no answer. If the new laser-based molecular scanner is allowed in airports, our health, liberty, and privacy will be sacrificed; and we will walk sick and conquered to our graves.
-  David Kravets, "TSA Pooh-Poohs Video Purporting To Defeat Airport Body Scanners,"Wired, March 7, 2012, at: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/bodyscanner-video/, last accessed December 17, 2012.
-  Travelmail Reporter, "Manchester airport axes controversial 'naked' scanners after EU fails to approve them," Mail Online, 17 September 2012, at:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2204387/Manchester-airport-axes-controversial-naked-scanners-EU-fails-approve-them.html#ixzz2AM21TInL, last accessed December 17, 2012.
-  David J. Brenner, "Are X-Ray Backscatter Scanners Safe for Airport Passenger Screening? For Most Individuals, Probably Yes, but a Billion Scans per Year Raises Long-Term Public Health Concerns," Radiology, April 2011 259:1 6-10; doi:10.1148/radiol.11102347. Full text may be read at: http://intl-radiology.rsna.org/content/259/1/6.full.pdf+html?sid=078fc9c9-366f-4b15-bd37-26111060c626.
-  See Health Canada notice on use of this technology at: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/life-vie/airport-scanners-aeroports-eng.php.
-  "RF/MW-Exposed Soldiers Have More Leukemia and Lymphoma," Microwave News, Vol. XV, No. 3, May/June 1995, p. 1, at: http://microwavenews.com/news/backissues/m-j95issue.pdf.
-  Ibid.
-  Ibid. at p. 14.
-  "Hidden Government Scanners Will Instantly Know Everything About You From 164 Feet Away," Gizmodo, July 10, 2012, at: http://gizmodo.com/5923980/the-secret-government-laser-that-instantly-knows-everything-about-you, last accessed on December 17, 2012.
-  Avital Korenstein-Ilan, Alexander Barbul, Pini Hasin, Alon Eliran, Avraham Gover, and Raﬁ Korenstein, "Terahertz Radiation Increases Genomic Instability in Human Lymphocytes,"Radiation Research 170, 224-234 (2008).
-  Ibid. at 233